Ready-to-Enamel cold rolled steel is obtained by surface deposition of a dry organic coating. Ready-to-Enamel cold rolled steel can be formed without the addition of a lubricant and surface treatment before enamelling is no longer required.
Ready-to-Enamel cold rolled steel offers clients the following advantages:
- Temporary corrosion protection during transport, storage and processing equivalent to lightly oiled cold rolled steel
- It is a dry product, which helps clients keep their workshops clean (no oil on the floor) and improves safety
- The use of the product is compatible with manufacturing and joining methods used by our clients, such as cutting, slitting, bending, profiling, deep drawing, spot welding, seam welding and clinching
- Steel formability is improved. The dynamic friction coefficient is equivalent to that obtained using standard deep drawing oil. Consequently, lubrication before forming is not required
- Ground or two-coat / one-fire enamelling without any surface treatment (no degreasing, no pickling) using either a wet or dry application method
- The coating contains no heavy metals
Use of this product therefore brings significant cost savings:
- Firstly, because forming and enamelling processes are simplified
- Secondly, because waste and wastewater treatment costs are reduced (no need for surface treatment before enamelling)
As a result, this product has a lower CO2 footprint so that its use has less impact on the environment.
Ready-to-Enamel cold rolled steel can be used to manufacture different types of parts:
- Hobs or cladding panels enamelled in white or colour using the two-coat / one-fire or conventional enamelling process
- Oven cavities or trays enamelled with ground-coat enamel (anti-acid or pyrolytic)
- Other applications: sanitary ware, architecture etc
Recommendations for use
Under appropriate transport and storage conditions, a three-month guarantee against corrosion can be provided. It is of course recommended that the steel should be kept in a dry place not subject to large fluctuations in humidity or temperature in order to avoid any condensation forming. Coil packaging is obviously an advantage in all cases.
Slitting and cutting
The material must be slit and cut in good, clean conditions, with no residual water, oil, dust or grease present on the rolls, knives, shears or any other mechanical part in contact with the steel surface.
The excellent lubricating properties of Ready-to-Enamel cold rolled steel mean that there is no need to apply a lubricant during forming. Ready-to-Enamel cold rolled steel attains the same dynamic friction coefficient as with standard deep drawing oil.
However, it is very important to ensure that tools are clean before use to avoid soiling the surface of the parts, since this could produce surface blemishes after enamelling. Air-blowing the parts clean or even rinsing them is advisable before enamelling.
Ready-to-Enamel cold rolled steel is compatible with all common joining methods, including spot welding. Welding latitude and electrode life are identical to what is observed with oiled products.
With Ready-to-Enamel cold rolled steel, no surface preparation (degreasing) is required, so that the parts can be enamelled directly. It is compatible with commonly used enamelling processes:
- Ground and conventional two-coat / two-fire enamelling processes
- Two-coat / one-fire enamelling process
- In the case of the direct-on white enamelling process (after degreasing, pickling and coating with nickel), this grade can be used for its lubricating properties, since the coating can be easily degreased
Enamel application can be carried out using either a dry or a wet method. In the latter case, a surfactant must be added to the enamel slip.
The coating can be applied on all cold rolled enamelling steel grades:
– Solfer® CA
For commercial information (quotations, deliveries, product availability):
For technical questions about these products: firstname.lastname@example.org
All details provided in the ArcelorMittal Flat Carbon Europe S.A. catalogue are for information purposes only. ArcelorMittal Flat Carbon Europe S.A. reserves the right to change its product range at any time without prior notice.